Wednesday, June 30, 2010

New Letter to Montgomery County School Board

Dear School Board Members,

I read the entirety of the Roanoke Times article this morning regarding your new choices available. I want to encourage you to vote unanimously for the BMS campus option. I believe that option is the best of bad options that accomplishes the following: 1) keeps all Blacksburg students in Blacksburg; 2) does not put students into a substandard and perhaps dangerous facility as testified by teachers who used to work at OCMS; 3) puts county (our) money into a temporary solution for a temporary problem; 4) it mostly affects only one student body- the one that actually had this happen to them.

I still say you should be planning for the immediate construction of the new high school in Blacksburg- we all know the old building is going to be condemned. Perhaps this is the time you should be taking legal action against the insurance company to speed it's condemnation of that property?

I will reiterate my earlier points that I am extremely disappointed in the board and Superintendent Blackburn for delaying this decision making process when there was no reason to not be going through this process in April. There was absolutely no reason.

For board members in Blacksburg considering shipping BMS students to OCMS, if you vote in that manner, I will work tirelessly to have you removed from the board as soon as possible. For those of you outside Blacksburg- this decision should not affect your constituents in any manner- I implore you to look beyond short term cost and more toward the will of parents who are actually affected by your decisions.

Most Respectfully,

Doug Garnett-Deakin

No comments: